Mikladalur village is ancient. Seyðabrævið, an agrarian reform from 1298, mentions Mikladalur in stipulations on sheep and dogs. In his book Færøske Kongsbønder, Anton Degn names land tenants back to 1584, and in the parliamentary records we read that an assembly was held in the village church and churchyard in 1646. All this points to an ancient settlement.
In ages past, Mikladalur lived solely of agriculture. In the 19th century, it gained a reputation for being excellent for fishing, most likely because it lay close to the northern fishing grounds. Men arrived from other villages to fish, and the catch was processed on a level rocky ground in the village.
For centuries, bird hunting played a central role in the village economy, providing an important addition to the common household far into the past century.
Mikladalur is known for its skilled craftsmen. Here were iron mongers, boat builders, stonemasons. Many artists have their roots in Mikladalur as well.
Travel links have changed dramatically in the 20th century. Early in the century, both people and cargo were transported with row boats, later to be replaced by deck boats sailing twice a week. In the latter half of the century, larger vessels were used and services were more frequent. Travel by sea ceased in the 1980s when Mikladalur became reachable by car.
The village school was built in 1885. Between 1870 and 1926, only one teacher served the whole island, teaching in the four villages in turn. In 1926 the island was divided into two school district, Mikladalur and Trøllanes were then served by one teacher, Marius Johannesen, until 1953.
The church in Mikladalur is old, mentioned in documents from 1646 and 1709. New churches were built in 1820 and 1859, the latter was rebuilt in 1915 and underwent major renovations in 2012.
The Mikladalur Parish Temperance Society was founded in 1883 by the teacher Absalon á Trøllanesi. A similar movement was already in the parish. The temperance society built a community centre in 1957 and is still active. The centre houses the society’s activity and is also available to rent, both for events and group accommodation. Because of the society’s work, Mikladalur and Trøllanes are known as dry villages.
The legend about the Seal Woman in Mikladalur is well-known in the Faroes, especially since a statue of the Seal Woman was erected in 2014 on a rocky knoll, Stórakneysi, at the village shore. The statue receives many visitors, both Faroese and foreign tourists.
Three other well-known legends, Páll Fangi, Marjunarhav and Andrasar Símun take place in Mikladalur.
In addition to the shoreline, the boathouse and the Seal Woman, the Norðastova Smithy, the church and the park are worth a visit.
As of 2015, according to official statistics, 29 people live in Mikladalur.